Monday, April 25, 2011

Video Games and Education.

Recently, I entered an entrepreneurial competition and was one of the winners (see here). The idea? Video games meets education (i.e., edutainment). I know many people are turned off by this idea, but I believe that, on account of mobile technology, edutainment finally has the requisite infrastructure to take off.

Therefore, at this point, I'd like to direct you to two sources.

One is the blog of Joel Levin, a computer science teacher at a private school in New York.

And the other is a TED talk video (seen below) concerning boys, video games, and our stagnant educational  system (I say 'our', because I feel boys are treated this way the world over). Ultimately, it tells the tale of why we need entities like Super TwinBear.

Currently, "educational" video games are nothing more than electronic flashcards, but as Joel Levin shows, it doesn't have to be this way; video games can be fun, engaging, and educational. 

By the way, if you'd like to know more about Ali Carr-Chellman (the speaker in the video below) check out her bio here.

Let me know what you think, or what your reactions are in the section below.

1 comment:

  1. "Video games are not the cause; video games are a symptom." I'm really congenial with the woman in the video in this regard. Some Chinese organizations are using terrible ways to force children to give up playing video games, such as electric shock... I don't know what they think but some children were killed by them and they are not seemingly going to stop this way. In this sense, I think our endeavor is righteous and hopefully can change the way people think about video games.
    (Chen)

    ReplyDelete